The new version of the WP Mobile Detector brings feedback over the last few years from customers and developers into an all new product offering, version 3.
We are incredibly proud of what we were able to come up with.
Without further ado, let’s dive in.
The feature list is too exhaustive to include in its entirety but here are the major ones.
- New Amanda Mobile theme.
- Get all the touch and swipe functionality that won’t make your mobile webpage take forever to load.
- Social Media for Mobile
- Allow your content to be shared without friction from any mobile device.
- Fully integrated into the WordPress Menus
- Select one of your pre-configured custom menus for use on the mobile website.
- Disable one or more active plugins just for mobile.
- Some plugins cause conflicts, or display incompatible content for mobile. This allows you to essentially disable a plugin for mobile, while keeping it active for the desktop.
- Sometimes settings can get lost. And while our plugin doesn’t take much time to configure, it’s just nice to have that piece of mind.
- Desktop function support.
- Some features such as photo or video galleries depend on your desktop theme. A mobile website does not use the desktop theme. That used to be a problem until now. With a single checkbox, make all of those features work on mobile!
- Short codes on mobile.
- In certain circumstances, short codes may still be displayed on the mobile website even with the functionality described above. This allows you to remove them from the mobile website.
- This version of the plugin features numerous speed improvements. The plugin was written from the ground up. It is more user friendly and only runs what it has to run when it needs to run it.
- There is also a brand new interactive theme editor that features better visibility, better interactivity, and of course a ton of more options.
- Where possible, this version of the plugin also utilizes the cache mechanism that WordPress just recently released. This improves the speed of the mobile website as well as the administration area.
- Streamlined updates.
- This is one of the things I am most excited about personally. Before, the free version and the paid version of the plugin were two completely separate pieces of software that shared less and less with each other.
- Now, both versions run off of the same software, and both can now be instantly updated with a new version with a single click! You will never have to download something, remove the current plugin, upload the new plugin, activate, and then call it a day. You will be notified via the WordPress administration area, and it will only take a single click to update.
- This will allow us to iterate and offer more premium features much faster to our PRO customers. It will also allow us to fix any bugs that may come up extremely quickly for everyone involved.
- Updates have always been a huge pain, to the point that some people just don’t apply them because of the hassle that they are. That will never be the case again for the WP Mobile Detector.
- More control!
- A custom CSS box was added to allow full control of the mobile theme without having to use FTP.
- In addition to direct control via CSS, we have added numerous checkboxes including hiding comments, author information, category information, tag information, and much more.
- Premium ad placement.
- Ad tags are optimally placed to gain the highest click through possible based on feedback from IAB.
Mobile is starting to explode. Every day we get questions from people on how to do X, or how to do Y on their mobile website.
In light of that, we will be working on releasing support for all of the different plugins out there such as WooCommerce. As it stands now, you can basically do anything with our mobile plugin, but by integrating specifically with WooCommerce, we can offer the ability to customize how shipping options display on mobile. Or the ability to easily manipulate your shopping cart based on product variations, types, and quantities.
The plugin community with WordPress is vast which means the things you can do on mobile are limitless. We will be working tirelessly to integrate better with all of the awesomeness on the Internet and bring it to mobile.
Give my eyes something to look at!
Ok ok, that was a lot of text, but it was needed. Here are a couple screenshots to wet your appetite and a video of the new interactive theme editor.